Thursday 14 January 2016

Kitchen greens

I am blessed to have a garden to grow things, but if I didn't have herbs on my kitchen window ledge I would not use them in dishes nearly as much as I do. 

Herbs are like prepositions that bring dishes together. They are great for salads and garnishing and an inexpensive way to decorate simple food. In summer, basil is my go-to herb for salads and Italian dishes, like pasta and pizza. I recently tried growing thyme which looks luscious and is a great accompaniment to potato dishes  I also keep chives handy to cut up into little hyphens over salads and to decorate dishes.

Sometimes positioning herbs in the kitchen can be a problem. The window ledge may be too hot or plants may not receive enough light. 

Have you ever thought about being a little 'shelf-ish' and putting up a little shelf just for your herbs? This way you can position them in the right spot. They need good light, but be vigilant of your plants if they get direct sunlight through glass which can get super hot. In the summer months, check the soil for dryness daily.

My favourite herbs are basil and flat leaf parsley. I do have to dash into the garden for my parsley, as the herb, like Rosemary, can get unruly and grow into large bushes. I let the parsley in the garden self seed as this helps to replenish my supply. (See my previous post on thrifty gardening tips.)

Another good supply of greens is to grow microgreens in the kitchen. The fresh plump shoots are delicious.
The Tui Garden Project and Annabel Langbein have some tips on how to grow these succulent accompaniments. In New Zealand you can buy Annabel Langbein's small packs of microgreens like beetroot, chervil, rocket and cultivate your own or you can buy potted greens like this one from The Family Herb Co. in Auckland. 









This post was inspired by Judith and Igor of Urban Jungle Bloggers who challenge their followers each month to post a blog on a botanical theme. This month it's 'plants in the kitchen'! Being a plant hunter myself, I am totally hooked! 

If you want to participate, please visit the Urban Jungle Bloggers website for all the details. 

Enjoy your herbs and eat your greens! 
- Claudia x


2 comments:

  1. Love the herbs. Your images are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diana! Love fresh herbs in my salads. Do you grow herbs?

      Delete